to look at and comprehend the meaning of a written or printed work by mentally interpreting the characters or symbols of which it is composed or by speaking it aloud, typically to another person
- Eddie, stop reading that trash!
From Mother Knows Best - Fresh Off The Boat 3x18
- What are you reading?
From Community's Abed - Live Like You're On TV
- I feel a little funny reading this.
From Best of John Ambrose | To All The Boys: P.S. I Still Love You | Netflix
read between the lines
to try to understand the real or hidden meaning of something
- If I'm reading between the lines correctly, it seems to me like what you want is a Broadway musical riff-off.
From Broadway Riff-Off w/ Neil Patrick Harris
- I'm reading between the lines.
From Victoria Beckham Says Yes to a Spice Girls Carpool Karaoke
- Which apparently, reading between the lines, leads me to believe that they think I'm okay.
From Colin Farrell Dropped the Parental Ball by Watching 'It' with His Son
read my lips
pay attention or listen carefully
- Read my lips, you're toast.
From The Untold Truth Of Saturday Night Live
- But read my lips, it's going to be one hell of a battle.
From The Try Guys Lip Sync Battle Drag Queens
- Read my lips.
From Fashion Dominating Tumblr with new 'Accessories' Category
read the riot act
to give someone a warning for having done something wrong in order to improve their behavior
- She reads Tony the riot act about his lack of responsibility.
From Iron Man's Entire MCU Timeline Finally Explained
- And she read me the riot act about how I really should have consulted her first about wearing red.
From Brooke Shields Breaks Down 12 Looks From 1978 to Now | Life in Looks | Vogue
- They would have really read me the riot act.
From I Helped The FBI After Leaving The KGB
a person who reads, especially one who reads a particular newspaper, book, magazine, etc.
- When I was growing up, I was an avid reader.
From Getting To Know Yara Shahidi | British Vogue
- I'll be your designated reader and read to you today.
From Sesame Street: Read me a Story with Big Bird
- But I can't be your only reader anymore.
From Dickinson — Season 2 Official Trailer | Apple TV+
easily and immediately; without delay
- Do you see how my bite mark is readily apparent in this rib?
From The Best Barbecue In Austin that You Don't Have to Wait For — The Meat Show
- was to make it readily available and accessible.
From A Look at the Appeal of Temporary Wallpaper
- Most readily, Mrs. Weston, if you will be my partner.
From Emma (1996): The ball scene
prepared and set for immediate action or use
- Get it ready!
From Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - movie clip
- - Ready? - I'm ready.
From Dwight and Erin Chicken Fight at the Pool Party - The Office
- Are you sure you're ready to be back at work now?
From Cold Open: Gina Was Hit by a Bus - Brooklyn Nine-Nine
left on read